Grilled Stuffed Jalapeños!!!

>> Sunday, October 10, 2010



I have another new kitchen gadget!!! Actually, it’s a grilling gadget for roasting jalapeños I got from Sur La Table. I’ve been looking for a while for one that I liked finally purchased one this weekend, thanks to Meredith’s good find. It’s made to hold jalapeños upright and keep them above the flame of the grill,. I couldn’t wait to pull a rack full of oozing, cheese-filled chilies with blistered skins and smoky flavor off the grill. I found some nice jumbo jalapeños at the Mexican Market near by us; great price! The first step was cutting off all the tops and hollowing out the centers. I got this great pepper corer too to clean the inside out very easily. This opens space for the stuffing and removes some of the chilies’ heat.


We went to Sprouts Farmers Market, and got some specially sausages to use to stuff some of the chilies. Next time I will go to Central Market; I know they have tons of differently spiced sausages. I made a simple stuffing of cream cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, bacon, and Lawry’s salt; of course. Then some were just stuffed with the delicious sausage.
There was just one little issue with this roaster contraption, or maybe it’s not the contraption at all but was just a twist of fate regarding the size of jalapeños being sold. The ones I got were too big for the rack to fit in. They just barley stayed in place, but I made it work! I didn’t want to buy small jalapeños then I couldn’t get much filling inside them. Now I know for next time.
The stuffed chilies went to the grill as secure as can be, and we eagerly awaited the end of their cooking time. They sat on a medium- grill indirect from the heat for about 20 minutes total The wait for the molten centers to cool enough so as to only burn a little seemed like an eternity, and I worried the jalapeños would be too spicy even though the membranes and seeds had been removed. We were surprised to find the jalapeños were very mild tasting as if the grilling had tamed them. Although I did get one that was very hot! Roasting the stuffed chilies was as fun as I’d imagined it would be, and I predict we’ll be doing this pretty much every time we light the grill. This would be great for an appetizer for any party!!

2 comments:

Joanna and Scott October 11, 2010  

WOW! Those look awesome! Yummy!!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Picture

Picture
Established 2007

Blog Views

Blog Archive

Web Analytics

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP